Pages

Saturday 6 September 2014

Makeup Revolution £1 Lipsticks: Swatches and Review

Hey all,

Today, as promised, I will be showing you swatches and a quick review on these lovely lipsticks by Makeup Revolution.


I uploaded this image to my Instagram (@midnightsbeauty_) earlier on today. From darkest to lightest we have 100% Vamp, Rebel With Cause, Fusion, Reckless, Lady, Beloved, Divine, Dusky, Treat and The One.

As you can see there is a great range of colours available to buy and these are only a few that I picked up over the summer. More can be found on the Makeup Revolution website or at Superdrug online here in the UK. Some Superdrug stores also carry this brand so check out your local shop to see if they do have a stand at that particular store.
 I personally bought these from Superdrug online whilst they had a 3 for 2 offer on. So technically I got these even cheaper than the regular price of £1!

The Makeup Revolution brand is somewhat new and they have a ton of low price items that are not only great in value but are actual quality products. I've already picked up some more stuff from them that will definitely feature in my blog sometime in the future. They are also well known for their cheaper alternatives to high end makeup such as their 'iconic' eyeshadow palettes range which are complete dupes of the Urban Decay Naked palettes.

Here are swatches of the lipsticks I picked up from Makeup Revolution:



As you can see from the swatches, these lipsticks are very pigmented and are great for people wanting to try new colours without having to break the bank.

Now I will review each lipstick on its own and show you guys some swatches on my lips.

THE ONE


This is a nude lipstick that just glides onto the skin. If you're a nude fanatic like me then you definitely need this is your collection. Personally, I like brown tone nudes and this is a tad too light for me. But I love to use this lipstick with other colours when layering lipsticks. 
Overall Mark: 8/10

TREAT



I love this lipstick! This is another nude colour but with a slight peachy brown undertone which I adore. It applies so smoothly and is perfect as an everyday look. The formula is creamy and the colour is universal. I think this shade would look stunning on every skin tone!
Overall Mark: 9/10

DUSKY
 


This, like the two before, applies so well and has a lovely texture. However, I just don't feel like the colour is for me. There's fine little glitter particles in this lipstick which I just don't like. I know it's not in your face glittery but I'm just not comfortable with any sort of shimmer or glitter on the lip. If you like that sort of thing then by no means go for it. The colour is very true to its name and without the sparkle would have been perfect. But this one just isn't for me.
Overall Mark: 6/10

DIVINE


I am a matte lips lover. Anything that is matte and goes on the lips is a must have for me and Divine was just that. But...it just didn't agree with me. This lipstick looks like the perfect coral matte shade in the tube. It had so much potential but just didn't deliver. Firstly, colour wise, this lipstick did a complete u-turn on the lips and appears pink (You'll understand why this is bad if you read on). Secondly, the formula was just drying on the lips. You can see it sticking to my dry patches in the picture even after I had moisturised. Swatching on the back of my hand was also difficult as it was so hard moving this back and forth on the skin. I was sad that I didn't like this lipstick. I really wanted to.
Overall Mark: 4/10

BELOVED


Remember when I said you'll see why 'divine' being pink on the lips was bad? Well this is the reason why. There is also a matte pink shade! I actually prefer the pink shade that 'divine' produced rather than this pink lol. For me the shade was just a tad bit unimpressive. I wanted more pigment! However, it is not as drying as 'divine' and the colour pay off was ok. But like the matte shade before, it was difficult to apply which doesn't help my impression of this lipstick.
Overall Mark 5/10

LADY


This shade...perfect classic red! Very nice formula which goes on so smooth and easy. The pigmentation is phenomenal for the price your paying. The colour is very rich and vibrant and would be perfect for any skin tone. I'm too much of a wimp to wear such bright colours but I still believe this is a must have colour.
Overall Mark: 8/10
 
RECKLESS


Overdrawn lips...Gahh! This is the one reason I steer clear of such colours, it's so easy to make a mistake! But that being said, I actually adore this colour. It's a deeper red than 'lady' but has all the same qualities. Great application, texture and pigmentation. You seriously can't go wrong with this lipstick.
Overall Mark: 8/10

FUSION


A matte shade that delivers! I absolutely love this lipstick! I would definitely say that this is my favourite of the bunch, no doubt about it. The pigmentation is perfect, it glides on nicely and it's matte! The colour is a plum shade that is perfect for the upcoming autumn/fall months. I actually wore a lipstick exactly like this throughout last years autumn months. I cannot rave enough about this lipstick enough. I think it will become my everyday go to. Pictures do not do it justice, go and buy it!
Overall Mark: 10/10

REBEL WITH  CAUSE



  This shade reminds me of the above 'fusion' shade but without the matte-ness. It applies well and has great pigmentation. I would recommend people who do not like matte lipsticks to go for this instead. The colour is again plum which is great for the upcoming months. Word on the street is that this is a perfect dupe for MAC's 'Rebel' and going by the similarities in names, I would assume that this was done intentionally. That should be reason enough to buy this lipstick, who doesn't want a cheaper alternative to a high end product? Especially when that alternative is only £1!
Overall Mark: 9.5/10

100% Vamp


This is one of those shades. You buy it just for the sake of saying you own a shade of this nature. Well that was the case for me. Definitely a nice shade just to play around with. I personally wouldn't have the guts to wear this out and about. The lipstick itself is nice and cream but I found application is not even. Every time I would swipe, it would move. Meaning some parts of my lips are more pigmented than other. To solve this problem I would use a lip liner underneath the entire lip just so the lipstick has something to cling to so it doesn't move around.
Overall Mark: 7/10

So there you have it. All my views on the 10 Makeup Revolution lipsticks I own alongside swatches. I would definitely recommend you go and check out their site and pick some up. Although, the lipsticks vary in my liking, I still think for the price you're paying you can afford to just go and buy loads and see which ones you like or don't. 

Hope my swatches have helped and thank you for reading x





2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you did this review, it is very in depth and I am now confident to buy some of their lipsticks!
    Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would definitely recommend you try them out, great pigmentation and light on the pockets!

    ReplyDelete